Monday, July 20, 2009

Under the Kitchen Sink....

Well as some of you know this week my Garbage disposal after i don't know how many years of suffering in its sickly way decided to commit Disposal Suicide, it broke its neck and plummeted to the the stack of Paper towels I had stored under the sink...

I found this out oddly not by the sound of its suicidal fall but from the fact that when I went to dump Puddi's day old water down the sink and hear a splashing sound.

Alas it was suffering and it needed to be at peace...

Well Saturday I started to clean out the stuff under the sink.

Sunday I took out my tools and began the process of disconnecting any life support it may have had... the first thing I noticed was when i removed the dishwasher connection the rubber hose broke off due to the amount of corrossion in the fitting area... was the plug still there?

Then when I disconnected the power cord and the Drain pipe and pulled it out what a wonderous smell I discovered.. and upon looking into the now silent mouth I saw more corrosive goo all over and quickly deposited in a Cardboard box to take to Home depot to get its replacement.

My younger brother Joe came over as I was heading to HD for the garbage disposal to help install the new one.

When I got home and he got under the sink, this is basically the jist of the conversation we had:
[Angel]can we get rid of the non-functioning filtered tap that is just sitting there doing absolutely nothing? [Joe] sure
[Angel] what do you think should we replace the faucet now while we can get to it easy?
[Joe] yea that would make sense to do it now, let me disconnect the old one and you can take to to make sure the connectors match up.

So We pulled out the junk and I jumped in my Car for a second trip to Home Depot

Come back home to find Joe using the Plumbers tape to get ready to hook up the new faucet and plumbers puddy to seal the new sink insert for the Garbage disposal.
I had removed the Original connection to the sink so I had to explain the way it all hooked up again and told him I had found it on the internet and asked if he wanted to watch it.. He of course declined. He had also already wired the plug onto the new unit as well.

So he got under the sink and we set up my new faucet with the spray extension which I really like :)

then when we were getting ready to put the Garbage Disposal on I noticed the drain pipe from the new one was half the length of the original one and said that is not going to fit, he said it should be ok till he got under and then said nope you are going to need to see if they have a longer one or get an extension.

So off again in my car to Home depot for trip #3....

Now Joe and I have done many things as well as my Friend Tyler and Tom to fix up my condo... and it seems that through out this process I can never replace one thing or a section of things without 3 trips to Home Depot... whether its a toilet poorly setup requiring a new ring for the floor mount or 3 wax circles due to the bad floor mounts or a new connection for the leaky sink connectors in the guest bathroom its always a 3 trip home fix up!

Well finally it was all connected and we turned the water on to find a quiet disposal and a nice new faucet to make the kitchen just a bit better.

Next on the List of Fix up for the Kitchen:
Stove replacement
Trash Compactor removal/replace??? not sure yet
Dishwasher replacement.

The air conditioner condensor needs to be replaced and someone to check the vent leading to the 2nd room where no COOL air ever really gets.

incase you want to see how to replace a Garbage Disposal here is the handy dandy site I watched!
How to replace a Garbage Disposal

1 comment:

  1. that is why TJ hates plumbing of all household jobs - the many many home depot trips.

    ReplyDelete